Riverview Church | Tuesday 1 March 2016
Riverview Church Inc
Riverview Community Services Inc
Riverview Children’s Foundation Inc
Riverview Media Inc
Regent College Inc
(Collectively referred to as Riverview, we, our, us)
What is your personal information?
What personal information do we collect and hold?
We may collect the following types of personal information:
- Contact information;
- Date and place of birth;
- Regular attenders details;
- Employment details, including tax file numbers;
- Health information;
- Volunteer roles with us;
- Expertise and interests;
- Family circumstances;
- Financial information that you provide to us including your credit card and debit card details;
- Sensitive information (such as your health, family and personal circumstances, criminal records check) that you provide to us, including but not limited to information shared during pastoral visits, prayer and when completing our forms;
- Income levels of yourself and your family, your Centrelink card number and other information that we require should you visit our community services area;
- Details of events or camps that you previously attended, together with any additional information necessary to run the event or camp;
- Any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites or indirectly through use of our websites or online presence; and
- Any other information you provide to us.
We may collect health and sensitive information from you if we are providing you with pastoral care or community services. We will only collect the sensitive information that is necessary for us to provide you with the relevant care and services.
We may also collect some information that is not personal information because it does not identify you or anyone else. For example, we may collect anonymous answers to surveys or aggregated information (for example, when we carried out the online survey with our congregation for them to inform us of their preferred weekend service time).
How do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. When collecting personal information from you, we may collect in ways including:
- When you complete paper and electronic forms, including but not limited to event registration forms, partnership forms and foundation forms;
- When you complete the giving envelopes during weekend services or events or when you give through various methods, including but not limited to our website, telephone and post;
- When you sign up and use Churchview and Planning Centre;
- When you access and use our website to register, give online or to enquire;
- When you post comments on our social media, including but not limited to Twitter, Instagram, Vimeo and Facebook;
- When you access our services, events and programs;
- When you email or telephone us;
- When you visit our website;
- When you voluntarily provide us with your details for us to add you to our mailing lists;
- During conversations or prayer sessions, in person or on the telephone, between you and our staff members and volunteers;
- During interviews, meetings and discussions, formal and informal, with our staff members and volunteers; and
- When you attend our weekend services, events, camps, courses and our other programmes, or
We may also collect your personal information from third parties including:
- From the Australian Federal Police regarding police checks that are required for you to volunteer or work with us in particular areas;
- From the Department of Child Protection regarding Working With Children Checks that are required for you to volunteer or work with us in particular areas; and
- From any other agencies and other government entities as and when required.
If it is unclear whether you consented to the disclosure of your personal information to us, we will take reasonable steps to contact you and ensure that you are aware of the collection and the purposes for which we collected your personal information.
We may receive unsolicited personal information where we did not request for the information. Unsolicited personal information includes misdirected mail received, correspondence sent to us by the public, employment and volunteer applications sent on an individual’s own initiative and not in response to our advertised vacancy, promotional flyers containing personal information and comments on our social media. We reserve the right to assess all unsolicited personal information received and to de-identify or destroy it within a reasonable time period in accordance to Australian Privacy Principle 4.
What happens if we can’t collect your personal information?
If you do not provide us with the personal information described above, some or all of the following may happen:
- We may not be able to provide the requested services to you, either to the same standard or at all;
- We may not be able to provide you with information about services that you may want or events that you may want to attend, including information about weekend services, guest speakers, upcoming events and other gatherings; and
- We may be unable to tailor the content of our websites to your preferences and your experience of our websites may not be as enjoyable or useful.
There may be times when you have the right not to identify yourself or to use a pseudonym when you contact us. For example, if you would like to request for a prayer for yourself or someone you know. The right to anonymity or to use a pseudonym will be decided on a case by case basis pursuant to Australian Privacy Principle 2.
For what purposes do we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information?
We collect personal information about you so that we can invite you to attend our weekend services and our events to do life and faith together in a community. If you are a church partner, we collect your personal information about you so that we can communicate to you information about our weekend services, events, guest speakers and other updates on our church.
We collect personal information about you so that we can assist you within our community services area to provide you with the support that you require through our various programs. We also collect personal information about you so that we can communicate to you the various impact and field trips that we organise to developing countries as part of our children’s foundation area.
We collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide services to you and to send communications requested by you;
- To answer enquiries, provide information or advice about existing and new services, events and programs and also to communicate with you about your giving and / or other donations;
- To enable you to assist us with volunteering, community fundraising and other programs;
- To process your first and second giving, donations, event registrations and other payments and to provide you with the relevant receipts;
- To communicate with you about how your giving and donations are used;
- To provide you with access to Churchview and Planning Centre;
- To provide you with access to our website;
- To assess the performance of the website and to improve the operation of the website;
- To provide you with the opportunity to inform us about your opinions on our surveys relating to our weekend services;
- For the administrative, planning and guest service improvements, of Riverview, its contractors or service providers;
- To update our records and keep your contact details up to date;
- To report to the government and other funding providers about how the funds are used;
- To process and respond to any complaint made by you; and
- To comply with any law, rule, regulation, lawful and binding determination, decision or direction of a regulator, or in co-operation with any governmental authority of any country (or political sub-division of a country).
We may access, aggregate and use non-personally identifiable data that we collected from you. This data will in no way identify you or any other person. We may use this aggregated non-personally identifiable data to:
- Assist us to better understand the response of our congregation to our weekend services (including number of attendees);
Assist us to better understand how our clients are using the programs of our community services;
- Provide you with further information and updates on our weekend services, events and programs; and
- Otherwise to improve our weekend services, events and programs.
To whom may we disclose your information?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- Our employees, our volunteers (to an extent) and service providers for the purposes of the operation of our website, fulfilling requests by you, and to otherwise provide services to you, including, without limitation, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, couriers, payment processors, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors and consultants;
- Suppliers and other third parties with whom we have commercial relationships, for example our local bank; and
- Any organisation for any authorised purpose with your express consent.
Direct marketing materials
We may send you information about our weekend services and events that we consider may be of interest to you. The information may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so. In addition, at any time you may opt-out of receiving information from us by contacting us (see the details below) or by using opt-out facilities provided in the method of communication used and we will then ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list. We do not provide your personal information to other organisations for the purposes of marketing.
How can you access and correct your personal information?
You may request access to any personal information we hold about you at any time by updating your details on Churchview (riverviewchurch.ccbchurch.com). Churchview refers to our web-based church management software provided by Church Community Builder (CCB). It is your responsibility to keep your password to Churchview safe. You should notify us as soon as possible if you become aware of any misuse of your password, and immediately change your password within Churchview or via the Forgot username or password process on Churchview. Alternatively, you may also request access to any personal information we hold about you at any time by contacting us directly (by telephone, at our Information Desk at our weekend services, at our Church reception during the week) or to the contact details nominated below. Where we hold information that you are entitled to access, we will try to provide you with suitable means of accessing it (for example, by mailing or emailing it to you). We will not charge you any fees in providing the information to you or for making any corrections to your personal information.
There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal information we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, we will give you written reasons for any refusal. If you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request us to amend it. We will consider if the information requires amendment. If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment then we will add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it.
We will only keep your personal information for as long as we require it to provide you with information and services that you need. However we may also be required to keep some of your personal information for specified periods of time pursuant to specific laws relating to companies, not-for-profit organisations and financial reporting legislation.
What is the process for complaining about a breach of privacy?
If you believe that your privacy has been breached, please contact us using the contact information below and provide written details of the incident so that we can investigate it. We endeavour to respond to your complaints within a reasonable period of time upon receiving all the relevant information. If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, please contact the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au).
Do we disclose your personal information to anyone outside Australia?
We may disclose personal information to our service providers located overseas for some of the purposes listed above. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your personal information. We disclose your personal information to our data hosting service providers located outside of Australia, including America, New Zealand and European Union. We note that our data hosting service providers may store data in several other countries.
Storage and Security
We take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is protected from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We may hold your information in either electronic or hard copy form. Your personal information is stored on secure servers that have SSL Certificates issued by leading certificate authorities such as Thawte Inc and Entrust & GTE Cybertrust, and all information transferred between you and us is encrypted. The secure servers are located in countries including but not limited to America, New Zealand. We also utilize an email filtering host using third party provider Sophos Pure Message Ltd which is stored on servers in America and the European Economic Area.
Your personal information is collected and stored on our internal database, our database maintained by cloud hosting service providers. Our internal database maintains a back-up system with Anittel in Australia. Hard copy information is stored in our offices which are secured to prevent entry by unauthorized persons. All personal information that is not active is archived with a third party provider of secure archiving services. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the third party provider maintains the security of the information. Your personal information remains on our databases until you advise us that you would like it removed or if we destroy or de-identify it according to privacy law principles.
As our website is linked to the internet, and the internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide any assurance regarding the security of transmission of information you communicate to us online. We also cannot guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the internet. Accordingly, any personal information or other information which you transmit to us online is transmitted at your own risk. We will advise you at the first reasonable opportunity upon discovering or being advised of a security breach where your personal information is lost, stolen, accessed, used, disclosed, copied, modified, or disposed of by any unauthorized persons or in any unauthorized manner.
We take particular care when dealing with your health and sensitive personal information, collecting only the necessary information for us to provide you with the services that you require. We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information, including ensuring that access to this information is restricted to specific staff members. We also take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify your personal information once it is no longer needed for the reason it was collected. Personal information is destroyed or de-identified when no longer needed.
Our website may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third party website. Third party websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
For all privacy concerns, please contact our Business Operations Manager at:
Post: PO Box 524 Victoria Park WA 6979
Tel: (08) 9416 0000